Andrew Warner, Hartford Founder‹ Back to The Founders
Compiled by Timothy Lester Jacobs, SDFH Genealogist
ANDREW1 WARNER, DEACON, HARTFORD FOUNDER (JOHNA) was born bef. 1599 in Hatfield, Broad Oak, Essex, England, and died 18 Dec 1684 in Hadley, MA. He married (1) MARY HUMFREY 05 Oct 1624 in Thaxted, Essex, England, daughter of ROBERT HUMFREY and ANN HOLLAND. She was baptized 13 Feb 1602/03 in Thaxted, Essex, England, and died bef. 1657 in prob Hartford, CT. He married (2) ESTHER WAKEMAN bef. 1657 in Hartford, CT, daughter of FRANCIS WAKEMAN and ANNE GOODE. She was baptized 15 Jun 1617 in Bewdley, Worcestershire, England, and died bef. 27 Sep 1693 in Hadley, MA (administration of estate).
Andrew Warner emigrated from Hatfield, Broadoak, Essex, England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1633, first residing in Cambridge, where he was on a committee to prepare an inventory of Cambridge lands in 1635, was chosen selectman 23 November 1635, and owned seven parcels of land.
He removed to Hartford in 1636 with Rev. Thomas Hooker’s party, where he was a deacon of the church. He was by profession a maltster. His second wife was Esther Wakeman (whose first husband was Hartford Founder Thomas Selden), sister of Priscilla Wakeman (wife of Hartford Founder Thomas Richards), of Hartford Founder Samuel Wakeman, and John Wakeman, a founder of the New Haven Colony. Hartford Founder Robert Sandford was his nephew.
In the Hartford land inventory of 1639/40 he had: two acres with his dwelling house, other outhouses, yards or gardens, lying to the south of the Little River between the road from the Mill to the South Meadow and the road from George Steele’s to the South Meadow; forty-six acres partly in the South Meadow and partly in the Oxpasture; three more acres in the South Meadow; seven acres in the forty acres acres; eleven acres lying in Hockanum; one acre and two roods in the Little Meadow; and thirty acres of woodland.
By March of 1648 he had acquired land at Farmington, but in 1650 he sold the land and returned to Hartford. He was not to stay there long, as he sided with William Goodwin in the controversy with Samuel Stone, and removed to Hadley, Massachusetts in 1659.
The inventory of his estate was taken 22 December 1684, and that of his widow Esther was taken 11 December 1693.
Recommended genealogy: “The Descendants of Andrew Warner”, Lucien C. Warner & Josephine G. Nichols, New Haven, 1919