The Founders of Hartford
Timothy Stanley, b March 1603, came to New England in May, 1634, in the same ship with William Pantry,
Sam'l Greenhill, Simon Willard, ate.; his wife, Elizabeth and son, Timothy, came with him, and perhaps one or two
older children. Settled in Cambridge; freeman, March 4, 1634-5. Removed to Hartford in 1636 ; an original proprietor;
his home lot in 1639 was on the west aide of Front St., near the road to the landing, the second lot north of the
present State St. ; juror, 1641 ; townsman, 1643 ; he d. April, 1648, c. 45; inv. £332. 18. 10. His widow,
in 1661, Andrew Bacon, who removed to Hadley. She returned to Hartford after his death in 1669, and lived with her
son, Caleb; d. in Hartford, Feb. 23, 1679, c. about 76. Ch.: i. Timothy, b. Jan. 1633; d. young. ii. Elizabeth m.
Mark Sension (St. John), of Norwalk. iii. Abigail, m. Samuel Cowles, of Farmington. iv. Caleb, b. March, 1642; lived on
his father's homestead; m. (1) ab. 1665, Hannah, dau. of John Cowles; she d. Feb., 1690, and he m. (2) Sarah, widow
of Zachary Long, of Charlestown ; she d. Aug. 30, 1698; m. (3) 1699, Lydia Wilson, who survived him; constable, 1667,
1675; townsman, 1671, 1678, 1682, 1687, 1690; deputy, five or six times; Assistant, 1691-1700; in 1694, a Commissioner
to Albany, with Col. Allyn, on negotiations with the Indians; in 1689, Capt. Caleb Stanley, Mr. Ciprian Niccolls,
Ensign Nathaniel Stanley, Capt. John Stanley, and Mr. James Treat were appointed a Council of Safety with the Governor
and Assistants. He d. May 5, 1718. His son, Caleb, was Mr. Secretary Stanley; and also the first
regular surveyor with a compass that resided in any town upon the Connecticut. v. Lois, b. Aug. 23, 1645 ; m.
Dea. Thomas Porter, of Farmington. vi. Isaac, b. March 10, 1647-8; settled in Hadley; m. Mary -; d. (s. p.) Sept.
23, 1671. Ruth Stanley, Timothy's adopted dau', m. Dec. 5, 1645, Isaac Moore, of Hartford, Norwalk, and Farmington;
d. in Farmington, May 26, 1691.