Home The Founders Early Hartford Sites Links About Us Contact Us Membership



Historic Sites

Below is a generated map of historic site in Hartford, CT. Click on any of the markers to identify the site.
And use the text links to the left to jump to the correlating page section to gain information on each site and view a picture.

Founders Monument

The Adventurer's Boulder

The Founders Bridge

Samuel Stone Statue

Thomas Hooker Statue

Meeting House Plaque

Traveler's Square

John Haynes Plaque

The Tercentenary Plaque

The Approach Plaque

Hartford City Sign

Founders Monument:

The original brownstone monument erected in 1837 was replaced by this one in 1986. It stands in the Ancient Burying Ground, which is located to the rear of the First Congregational Church at the corner of Main and Gold Streets in Hartford. This cemetery is also known as Old Center Cemetery. It lists the original Founders of Hartford.


The Adventurer's Boulder:

The plaque reads:

In Memory of the Courageous
Adventurers
Who Inspired and Directed by
Thomas Hooker Journeyed Though the
Wilderness from Newton (Cambridge)
in the Massachusetts Bay to
Suckiaug (Hartford) - October, 1635

Matthew Allyn      William Lewis
John Barnard           Mathew Marvin
William Butler          James Olmsted
Clement Chaplin      William Pantry
Nicholas Clarke      Thomas Scott
Robert Day             Timothy Stanley
Edward Elmer          Thomas Stanley
Nathaniel Ely          Edward Stebbins
Richard Goodman      John Steele
William Goodwin      John Stone
Stephen Hart      John Talcott
William Kelsey      Richard Webb
William Westwood

From the Society of the Descendants
of the Founders of Hartford
To the People of Hartford
October 15, 1935


Founders Bridge Plaque(S):

The first plaque reads:

FOUNDERS BRIDGE
AND
RIVERFRONT RECAPTURE
(PUBLIC ACCESS TO THE CONNECTICUT RIVER)
HARTFORD - EAST HARTFORD
OCTOBER 1998
HON. JOHN G. ROWLAND
GOVERNOR
JAMES E. SULLIVAN
STATE TRANSPORTATION COMMISSIONER
JAMES E. BRYNES, JR.
TRANSPORTATION CHIEF ENGINEER
CONTRACTOR
O & G INDUSTRIES, INC
ENGINEER
BERGER, LEHMAN ASSOCIATES

The second plaque reads:

THE FOUNDERS BRIDGE
Commemorating the men and women
who traveled here in 1636
with the Rev. Thomas Hooker
to found the City of Hartford.

This plaque placed by
The Society of the Descendents fo the Founders of Hartford in the year 2000





Samuel Stone Monument:

In 1636, Thomas Hooker and Samuel Stone led their congregation from New Towne (now Cambridge, MA) and formed a colony at House of Hope, making peace with the local Indians and renaming the town they called Suckiaug as Hartford.


Thomas Hooker Statue at the Old

State House:

The Statue and Plaque Reads:

- West Elevation
THOMAS HOOKER
1586-1647
Founder of Hartford Pastor
- Statesman -
"The foundation of authority is laid firstly in the Free Consent of the People."
- South Elevation -
"The choice of public magistrates, belongs unto the people, by God’s own allowance. And it is in their power, also, to set the bounds and limitations of the power and place, unto which they call them."
- East Elevation
Leading his people through the wilderness, he founded Hartford, in June 1636. Two years later he preached the historic sermon, which inspired the Fundamental Orders, and sowed the seeds of free Constitutional government in America.
- North Elevation
"As God has given us Liberty, let us take it."
- Bronze Plaque
To the People of Hartford from the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, October 1950.


Meeting House Yard Plaque at the Old State House:

The actual where abouts of this historic plaque are currently unknown. It's last known location was at the Old State House.
The 'Yard' was the center of the religious, military, and civil life of the community. There, in the little meetinghouse, the settlers worshipped God and justice was admitted by the court. Offenders of the law were punished at the pillory, the stocks, and whipping post. After 1694 the signpost was also the 'Yard.' To such was the open public market, with stalls. In 1643 a market day was authorized and on Wednesday's all kinds of salable articles were brought there.
The plaque indicates Main Street, the First State House 1730 (now the Old State House), the Town Meetinghouse 1638-1787, and the Brick School 1758-1766.


The Approach Plaque:

The Plaque reads:

THIS APPROACH TO
HARTFORDS ANCIENT BURYING GROUND WHICH WAS SET APART IN 1640 AND CONTAINS THE GRAVES OF THOMAS HOOKER AND THE OTHER FOUNDERS OF HARTFORD, WAS COMPLETED IN 1952 BY THE GENEROSITY OF
EDWARD M. DAY
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST AND CITIZENS OF HARTFORD. WHO BELIEVED THAT THE FAITH AND COURAGE OF THOSE WHO FOUNDED THIS CITY WOULD ENDURE THE BETTER IN SURROUNDINGS WHICH ADD TO THE BEAUTY OF THEIR LAST RESTING PLACE AND TO THE CITY THEY LOVED.


Thomas Hooker Plaque at the First Church:

The Plaque reads:

CENTER CHURCH
OEGANIZED 1632
FOUNDED HARTFORD IN 1636
FIRST MINISTER
THOMAS HOOKER
SERVED
1633 - 1647


John Haynes Plaques at the Ancient Burying Ground:

The Plaque reads:

1594 1654
IN MEMORY OF
JOHN HAYNES
FIRST GOVERNOR
OF THE COLONY
OF CONNECTICUT
GATEWAY IS
GIVEN TO HARTFORD
BY TWO
OF HIS DESCENDENTS
1900


Traveller's Square:

The bronze statue reads:

THE SAFE ARRIVAL
"HE WHO BROUGHT US HERE SUSTAINS US STILL"

The Plaque hangs directly behind the statue and reads:

IN JUNE 1635, ABOUT ONE HUNDRED MEMBERS OF THOMAS HOOKER'S CONGREGATION ARRIVED SAFELY IN THIS VICINITY WITH ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY CATTLE. THEY FOLLOWED OLD INDIAN TRAILS FROM THE MASSACHUSETTS BAY COLONY TO THE CONNECTICUT RIVER TO BUILD A NEW COMMUNITY. HERE THEY ESTABLISHED THE FORM OF GOVERNMENT UPON WHICH THE PRESENT CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES IS MODELED
THEIR DEEPLY RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES FOUND EXPRESSION IN THE EMBLEM AND THE MOTTO OF THE SEAL WHICH THE COLONY SOON ADOPTED. THE SEAL OF THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT AND THE LEGEND, "QUI TRANSTULIT SUSTIUNET"
THIS STATUE, HONORING THE SPIRIT OF ALL PIONEERS, IS DEDICATED TO THE FOUNDERS OF HARFORD. IT COMMEMORATES THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND CENTURY OF SERVICE BY THE TRAVELERS INSURANCE COMPANIES
APRIL 1, 1964




The Tercentenary Plaque

The Plaque reads:

THAT PART OF "SUCKIAUG" NOW
HARTFORD WHERE IN 1636 LIVED
FOUR OF ITS FOUNDERS

WILLIAM GOODWIN
ELDER
SAMUEL STONE
TEACHER
REV. THOMAS HOOKER
LEADER
JOHN HAYNES
FIRST GOVERNOR

ERECTED BY
THE CONNECTICUT CHAPTER OF THE
NATIONAL SOCIETY
DAUGHTER OF FOUNDERS AND PATRIOTS
OF AMERICA
IN RECOGNITION OF THE
CONNECTICUT TERCENTENARY
1635 - 1935


Hartford Sign:
Erected 1971 by the City of Hartford, by the Connecticut Historical Commission and by the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford.

The Sign Reads:

Hartford was named in 1637 after the English town of Hertford. The Indian name was Suckiaug.
The first colonial settlement, called House of Good Hope, was made by the Dutch in 1633. The Reverend Thomas Hooker arrived overland from Newtown (Cambridge) Massachusetts with his congregation in 1636 .
At first the settlement was called Newtown. In 1639 the Fundamental Orders were adopted, often considered the first written constitution creating a government. Hartford served as capital of Connecticut Colony until 1701, when after absorption of the New Haven Colony there were two capitals, Hartford and New Haven. In 1875 Hartford became the sole capital.

Erected by the City of Hartford
the Connecticut Historical Commission and
the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford
1971




Home | The Founders | Early Hartford | Sites | Links | Insignia | About Us | Contact | Membership | Newsletters |

Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford

©2006 - Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford - All Rights Reserved
Web Design & Web Hosting by whoistheoldguy.com